Vicars of Holy Trinity Church
Hanging on the walls in the bell tower are two boards detailing all the vicars.
|Walter de Warnecamp||1250|
|William de Staines||1279|
|William de Chyntynge||1349|
|William de Northwolde||1366|
|Sir Richard Peere||1400|
|John de Spurston||1416|
|Joseph Frances Fearon||1801|
|Canon Henry Plimley||1817|
|Thomas Astley Maberley||1841|
|Canon Francis John Mount||1877|
|Canon James Hughes Cooper||1888|
|Canon Robert Fisher||1909|
|Canon Charles William Goodall Wilson||1915|
|William Hilton Wright||1936|
|Harry Francis Christopher Kempe||1941|
|Joseph Oliver Smart||1957|
|Henry Charles Naylor Lawson||1964|
|John D C Fisher||1967|
|Eric H A Haden||1978|
|Nicholas Guy Wetherall||1992|
The inscription on the board states:
This Church founded by William 2nd Earl of Warrene, Surrey, 1090. It was served by the clergy of the Priory at Lewes until 1250 when S. Richard, Bishop of Chichester, erected this Vicarage, and appointed as the first Vicar his own Chaplain.
John Savage was vicar throughout the changes from Catholicism to Protestantism. In 1538 Henry VII gave the revenue of Lewes Priory, including the tithes from Cuckfield, to Thomas Cromwell. After Cromwell’s execution these passed to Anne of Cleves. Savage remained vicar throughout the reigns of Edward VI and Queen Mary. He was mentioned in the deeds of the Grammar School and in the Bishop’s visitations at “Cowkfeld” in 1554, 1555 and 1556.
John Waterhouse was vicar for 25years and was held in high esteem. He provided a musket in defence of the realm as a result of the threat of the Spanish invasion. The records of the Court of the Archdeacon in Lewes show that in 1605 he was charged with “not wearing the surplice nor using the cross in baptism”.
Thomas Astley Maberley was born in Powis Place, London on Dec.12th 1810 the eldest of the five children of Joseph and Henrietta n?e Serle. in 1841 he took up the living as Vicar of Cuckfield, Sussex which he held until his death on Apr 18th 1877. He was buried in the churchyard at Cuckfield. His widow continued to live in Mytten House their Cuckfield home until her own death in 1892. They had five children.
Michael Maine was born in Cornwall. He had a long career as a choral scholar, organist, teacher, and Director of Music before his ordination in 2011. He served his curacy at St Mary the Virgin, Willingdon,