Churches

Holy Trinity Church

Holy Trinity Church The church is over 900 years old and for many years was the only church in Cuckfield. It is situated on the south side of Cuckfield with views from the churchyard to the South Downs.

The spire was a later addition to the church tower.  It was first recorded as being in need of repair in the Churchwardens Accounts of 1593 and in the early 1670s 25,000 shingles were used to re-shingle it. This was done about every 100 years.  It was completely destroyed by an accidental fire in 1981 and was subsequently rebuilt.

There have been several weathercocks at the top of the spire.  Churchwarden’s accounts in 1620 mention repairs to the weathercock and that a new one was put up in the early 1700s.  The bird on the crest of the Clutton family was represented on a new weathercock made by Thomas Knowles and erected in 1800s in memory of William Clutton, churchwarden.  It was repaired and re-gilded in 1912.

Baptist Chapel

The first Baptists met in a local house until the church was built in 1772. After a chequerued history of closures it was re-established in 1957. The chapel is situated at Polestub Lane.

Congregational Chapel

Congregational Church The chapel in Broad Street was established 1821 but closed during the 1900s. The chapel is now used as offices. William Payne was a very active member and generous benefactor of the Chapel.

Weslyan Methodist Chapel

The chapel was originally in London Road but has now closed.

All Saints Mission Room

The Mission Room in Brook Street was well used by the small community. It was originally called the Iron School Church. It was opened on Advent Sunday in 1879 and closed in the 1960s.

St. John’s Mission Room

StJohns, Ansty.jpg St John’s, Ansty was opened in 1883 and rebuilt and dedicated in 1909 by the Bishop of Lewes as a memorial to T W Best, father of Miss Louisa Best, who had it erected at her expense . It was ministered by the clergy of Holy Trinity Church, until its closure on 25th December 2000. Popular concerts regularly took place in the Mission Rooms, with people walking from Cuckfield to enjoy them. On the 15th January 2001 the Bellringers at Holy Trinity, Cuckfield rang a Quarter Peel to commemmorate the closure of St John’s Church.



Powered by WordPress. Designed by Försäkra Online.