Views Around Holy Trinity Church

Holy Trinity Church The church was built on the foundations of the C12 church and for many years was the only church in Cuckfield. This view is taken from the south-west corner of the churchyard.


Church Porch A view of the northern part of the Churchyard and the North Porch. Taken from the Lych Gate at the end of Church Platt. The lych gate is of timber on sandstone base with Horsham stone slab roof. It consists of upright posts, tie-beam and 2 modified scissor braces. Inscription: ‘To the glory of God and to the memory of Laura Maria Beavan her six children dedicate this gate 1911’.


Church Yard A view from the Lych Gate at the end of Church Street. The South Downs can be seen in the distance. The Lych Gate is timber-framed with pagoda-shaped Horsham stone slab roof with iron cross finial. It is upported on 6 square piers forming 4 arches with spandrels having Tudor rose, other floral and JHS mottoes. Text in frieze facing Church Street, ‘There remaineth therefore a rest for the people of God’. Inside there is an inscription ‘To the glory of God and in thanksgiving for the beautiful life of Caroline Emily Maberley her children dedicate this lychgate, Anno Domini 1893’.


Cottages in the Churchyard These cottages are just inside the Lych Gate at the end of Church Street. Timber framed building said to have records dating back to 1642, refronted inC19. Interior has a C18 inglenook fireplace with salt alcoves.



Powered by WordPress. Designed by Försäkra Online.